In the beginning . . .
River Oaks Baptist Church, 1955
River Oaks Baptist Church began as a vision engendered in the hearts of a group of Christian people to further the cause of Christ in the community. On May 22, 1950, this group met in a private residence to discuss the need for a Baptist church in the River Oaks and adjacent areas. By June 6, 1950, the first worship service was held in the River Oaks Garden Center and Forum of Civics with 58 members in attendance.
Meeting in various locations for the next 3 years, the new congregation worked hard and prayed much more before moving into permanent buildings at our present day location on December 13, 1953.
Our most recent endeavor occured during the summer of 2012. After prayerful consideration, much work on behalf of the congregation, and God's blessings, our beloved Sanctuary was updated and beautifully transformed! Renovations were needed to improve the lighting, electrical and HVAC systems. Along with these necessary changes, the space was updated with a new stage layout, new finishes and the addition of stained glass windows.
From our early years of meeting in multiple locations, to our current home at 2300 Willowick Rd., River Oaks Baptist Church has been a Christ-centered community for generations of families in Houston. We encourage you to come visit and meet our family!